Buckeye boot camp director on trial for death of boy, 14

The director of a "tough love" juvenile boot camp near Buckeye went on trial Oct. 7 for his role in the 2001 death of a 14-year-old boy put in his charge.

Charles Franklin Long II, 59, is in Maricopa County Superior Court to face a charge of second-degree murder in the death of Anthony Haynes. Long is also charged with eight counts of child abuse and one count of aggravated assault stemming from the weeklong, military-style boot camp run by Long's America's Buffalo Soldiers Re-enactors Association.

Long maintains the allegations against him are false. The camp, which Long founded, was shut down after Haynes' death.

Haynes was among several youths who, on July 1, 2001, reportedly stood on a "Drop on Request" line in 112-degree heat to get permission to leave the program. After several hours, Haynes, who weighed 205 pounds, started acting erratically, eating dirt, refusing to drink water and eventually collapsing in convulsions.

According to investigators, Long ordered that the boy be taken to a nearby hotel, where a room had been secured so the boot campers could bathe. Troy Hutty, a camp staff member and the father of two boot campers, took Haynes and other youths to the hotel, undressed Haynes and placed him in the bathtub, turned on the shower and left him there unsupervised.

Haynes later was found face-down in the water, and had appeared to have defecated or vomited mud. The lifeless boy then was taken back to the camp, where a staff member called 911.

Haynes was airlifted to a Phoenix hospital, where he was pronounced dead. An autopsy ruled that the cause of death was "complications of near drowning and dehydration due to heat exposure." The Maricopa County medical examiner called the death an accident.

Long's defense attorney, Joann Garcia, has maintained her client is innocent because Haynes was in Hutty's care when he died. Hutty already has pleaded guilty to the lesser offense of negligent homicide, and is expected to testify against Long.

The case has received much attention from the national media, including comprehensive coverage on the CBS television program 48 Hours Investigates.

Haynes' mother, Melanie Haynes, sent her son to Long's camp, which was modeled after military boot camps, after the teen was caught shoplifting a toy action figure. Boys enlisted in the camp were fed an apple for breakfast, a carrot for lunch and a bowl of beans for dinner. Their "uniform" for the Arizona desert was a black sweatshirt, black sweatpants and black hats.

Long was arrested and charged with Haynes' murder in February 2002. If convicted, he could face more than 20 years in prison. 

Source: West Valley Views 10-20-04 

TAUSA Trial Watch
Anthony "Tony" Haynes, 14
Boot-camp death trial starts - 10/8/04

Trial begins in teen's death at Arizona boot camp - 10/7/04

Boot Camp Plea Bargain - 2/21/02

14-year-old dies in Arizona, latest casualty of "boot camps" - 7/6/01

Death Spotlights Youth Boot Camps - 7/6/01

Desert Boot Camp Shut Down After Suspicious Death of Boy - 7/4/01

Boy, 14, dies at boot camp amid abuse allegations - 7/4/01

This page and all it's contents copyrighted 2004-2005 by Teen Advocates USA and Barbe Stamps.  All Rights Reserved.

Requires Key Word Search: Chuck Long

Walking Among the Pines
A Court TV Investigative Report
            by Seamus McGraw

Chuck Long, a former marine, ran an Arizona tough love boot camp that was so abusive several children died. This case shows the need for regulations and standards of behavior in the privatized for-profit teen help industry.
S I D E   B A R

Charles Long II; Ray Anderson; Tony Haynes
Sheriff Joe Arpaio
White Mountain Area
(CBS) Anthony Haynes was a troubled kid. In the spring of 2001, after the Phoenix teen was caught shoplifting, his mother Melanie enrolled him in America's Buffalo Soldiers Re-enactors Association, a boot camp run by 57-year-old Charles Franklin Long II. She never expected him to end up dead. Who is to blame? Richard Schlesinger reports.

Long modeled his camp after military boot camps. He commanded kids as young as 7, who are in trouble with the law or whose parents just want them to have some extra discipline. He has his own style of working with kids - it's a lot of managing and a little menacing.

Anthony started attending the boot camp's weekend program, and his mother finally had some hope.

But Anthony quickly tired of the program and slashed his mother's tires to avoid going back to camp. So Melanie enrolled her son in a more intensive program run by Long. Allen Kent and Angel Campbell were also sent to the boot camp to straighten up. Russell Abatte was sent there to gain confidence and lose weight.

Their diet: an apple for breakfast, a carrot for lunch, and a bowl of beans for dinner. Their dress code for the Arizona desert: black sweatshirt, black sweatpants, black hats.

Russell Angel and Allen became friends with Anthony Haynes at the camp, about an hour outside Phoenix. The first two days of boot camp passed without incident. But on the third day, things really started to heat up - it was a day the kids call "Hell Day."

Police say the trouble started when Long left the camp that morning, putting his "drill instructors" in charge: teen-agers Matthew Fontenot and Sirveorge Jones - and 39 year-old Raymond Anderson. Witnesses say it all began after lunch, for no apparent reason.
Death in the Desert
Allen says he was forced to drink from a jug filled with water, rocks and dirt. One of the instructors then allegedly jumped on his chest with both feet.

Angel Campbell claims she was also beaten by the instructors and slapped all over her body. You can still see the bruises on a videotape shot 5 days afterward.

Hell Day continued well into the evening. Russell Abatte says one of the drill instructors poured sugary water from the baked beans all over his body, then left him alone as bees swarmed over him. He claims he was stung 82 times.

Sunday, July 1,2001, marked the fourth day since "Hell Day", when the staff reportedly beat and bruised kids in the hot desert sun. But the worst was yet to come for Anthony Haynes.

Charles Long is used to kids wanting to leave his camp, and he didn't make it easy. "On Sundays I call a formation, and I will ask, 'Is there anyone here that feels as though he or she can't go any further and would like to drop on request, or leave the program,['" he says.

Haynes was one of many kids who asked to leave that day. The group, including Anthony, Allen Kent, and Russell Abbate, was separated from the rest of the kids and ordered to form a line. "We stayed out there until the sun went down," says Allen. The temperature that day reached 111 degrees.

The kids who dropped on request say they were not allowed any water. Some of the campers told investigators there was adequate water, but many said Anthony and his group had nowhere near enough. Long claims that the children were allowed full access to water that day.

The kids say that after several hours in the sun, Anthony began to hallucinate. "He said he saw Indians and water," says Allen. He was also eating dirt. By sundown, they say Anthony had gotten worse. "He was passed out. His face was just pale," says Russell.

But Colonel Long says Haynes was faking his sickness. "I've seen Anthony do the very same thing before," he says. Long believes Anthony was pretending again because he wanted to go home. The staff was told to put Anthony in a pickup truck along with other kids on their way to take a shower.

"Anthony was sitting up, with his eyes squinting, " says Long. "And I said, 'Anthony, do you want to go home?' And he'd open one eye. And he'd look at me. 'I just wanna go home, Colonel.' And he shut 'em back down"

"He didn't say that!" says Russell. "He would never say that."

"Colonel has a golden tongue," says Angel. "He tries to say things that kind of fit in."

Sirveorge Jones and another instructor took Anthony to a nearby motel room.

The staff put Anthony in the bathtub, turned on the shower, and reportedly left him alone for five to ten minutes. When they returned, according to some witnesses, the 14-year-old was facedown in the water and barely responsive. One of the instructors claimed he was concerned about Anthony's condition and called Long.

"There was nothing in the conversation that I had to be concerned about," says Long.

Despite that call, Long was still convinced Anthony was faking, and ordered his staff to bring Anthony back to camp. That's where Colonel Long finally got concerned and tried to revive Anthony.

At 9:43 p.m., Long's wife called 911. At this point, Anthony Haynes was not breathing.

Anthony was airlifted to the hospital. In Phoenix, his mother's phone rang. she rushed to the hospital, where doctors told her that her son had died.

An autopsy said the cause of death was "complications of near drowning and dehydration due to heat exposure." But the medical examiner called the death an accident.

Long still believes Anthony was trying to go home. "I think Anthony wanted to get himself sick, and sick to the point whereby he would get himself out," he says.

Maricopa County sheriff Joe Arpaio shut down the camp. His detectives started investigating Anthony's death and Colonel Long. "This was a kid that died under a very, very strange situation," Arpaio says.

Long doesn't believe he was responsible for Anthony's death. "Do I feel bad that I didn't take him home alive to his parents? Yeah, I feel bad about that," he says. "So bad that you will never, ever understand how bad I feel. Am I responsible? I didn't kill Anthony."

What happens? Find out in Part II.

                          Standing Watch Since 1999

      Back to TEEN ADVOCATES USA Home Page

Originally aired January 3, 2003
Wife of man accused in camp death shocks courtroom
Jurors Still Deadlocked
Lawyer Suggests Mother to Blame in Boot Camp Death
- 11/19/04
- 12/14/04
It's time to stop abusing and even
killing kids in the name of "toughlove".

by Barbe Stamps
OP/ED January 1, 2005

Boot Camp Director Guilty in Teen's Death
January 3, 2005
  U P D A T E
July 1, 2005

From the Arizona Republic

Boot-camp counselor gets 4 months in jail in boy's death

Michael Kiefer
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 22, 2005 12:00 AM

A camp counselor was sentenced Tuesday in Maricopa County Superior Court to four months in jail and three years probation for the 2001 death of a troubled teen at a tough-love boot camp near Buckeye. And three other counselors were sentenced to jail and probation for child abuse inflicted on other campers during a weeklong desert ordeal.

In the summer of 2001, Troy Hutty, 33, brought his two children from Philadelphia to attend a camp run by America's Buffalo Soldiers Re-Enactors Association. Most campers were troubled teens brought to the tough-love camp by desperate parents or referred there by counselors or law enforcement. Hutty came on vacation.

The camp's director, Charles Long, directed Hutty to bring four youths to a hotel for a shower to cool off, including Anthony Haynes, a 14-year-old who had been acting erratically. Haynes was placed unconscious in the tub and nearly drowned. Instead of calling paramedics, Hutty brought the boy back to the camp, where he died of complications of near drowning and dehydration.

Prosecutors allowed Hutty to plead guilty to negligent homicide in exchange for his testimony against Long. In January, a jury found Long guilty of manslaughter and aggravated assault, and in May, he was sentenced to six years in prison.

Haynes' mother and grandmother asked Judge Ronald Reinstein to send Hutty to jail.

"Next week will be four years since I lost my baby," said the mother, Melanie Hudson, "and it could have been prevented by dialing three numbers."

Prosecutor Mark Barry asked that Hutty be sent to jail for a year. "He was the lone adult in that situation," Barry said. "He could have made that call to help that young man, and he didn't."

Earlier in the day, Reinstein sentenced three other counselors for child abuse convictions unrelated to Haynes' death that took place when Long was away from the camp. Some youngsters were spanked with a boot sole, punched and kicked and made to eat mud, among other allegations. All three pleaded guilty.

Ray Burr Anderson, 22, was sentenced to six months in jail and three years of probation. Matthew Fontenot, 21, was sentenced to a year in jail and three years probation. And Sirveorge Jones, 20, received three years probation and the time he has already served in jail because he could not afford to post bond, 578 days.


Tuesday, May 24
Charles Long Sentencing

Judge Ronald Reinstein sentenced Charles Long to:

Count 1-- Reckless Manslaughter
6 years in prison

Count 2 -- Aggravated Assault
5 years in prison

These two counts will run concurrently.